1.09.2009

MONO-MORAI

STYE (or STY) is a one of eye disease.
When I looked up "STYE" and "STY" in a dictionary, I noticed that the word has an another meaning. 
STY means a pigsty and a dirty house.
And then, I've wondered that "STYE" is a coined word (STY+ EYE)or not.

STYE's Japanese word is MONO-MORAI.

"MORAI" equals "be given something"
"MONO" usually equals "thing". 
But, MONO-MORAI's "MONO" isn't epual to "thing".

Japanese people think that the dirty-thing and the scary-thing must not be named concretely.
For example, 
a rash=DEKI-MONO (word-for word translations:be born something/get bad-things), 
begging=MONO-GOI (:Beggars want to something from somebody).

Japanese have thought that they are taboo words for a long long time.
Taboo words are often called "MONO".

Perhaps, maybe you knew the Japanese animation movie『Princess MONONOKE』.
"MONONOKE" means ghosts and apparitions.

MONO-MORAI's "MONO" means this.
'Cos, it had been considered that it's contagious and spread by a person (or place) who has the cause of the disease.

Even if "STYE" is "STY" prus "EYE",
these words (STYE and MONO-MORAI) are very similar to each other.
'Cos MONO-MORAI has an another meaning ,too. (like a STY)

7 comments:

Lil said...

Wow. I always wondered about "mono". I didn't know that it had such a meaning, but I'm glad you told us!

Sty comes from a very Old English word called Stigend. It means "riser" + eye. I guess that makes some sense. lol

starla--zero said...

I love studying word meanings :) When I'm good enough at Japanese, I hope I can learn the origins of Japanese words too.

rain-butterfly said...

I always wondered what mononoke meant I never thought of looking it up ^^;; it's my favorite miyazaki film :D I really want to learn japanese I think languages in general are so interesting they tell the history of it's country :) I only know basic stuff in japanese and some words. I am always open to learning more words in foreign languages.

ヴィーンセント said...

japanese can be difficult. when I was first studying it was hard for me to see words like "dekigoto" "migoto" "dekimono" "monomorai" and such, because they always teach you the kanji for "dekiru" "miru" "butsu" "koto" "morau" etc but seeing them together is confusing because the meaning of a word is completely different. When I first saw "migoto" I thought it must an event one saw, or dekimono was something one accomplished. I'm suret here are many words in both English and Japanese that are hard to study!

Mr. John said...

There are words that in the foreign language you study means one thing, and, in your language, it seems to mean other. So, I always say that learning a new language isn't easy but important, because people over the world haven't the same language.
We should not only learn English, but also other languages which can help us in a lot of different situations.

Howling Wolf said...

Curious, I'd like to learn Japanese; is something i always wanted to do but it's not like i know many Japanese teachers here... Maybe i can do it online.

I'm from Canary Islands (northwest Africa), we are spanish-speakers and our word for "stye" is "orzuelo", you see, a much less elegant word... So I'll say "mono-morai" from now on :D

yumekage-danna said...

Good afternoon, Tsuki-san! =D

The English language is not my native language so I'm not an expert on it myself. Sometimes english can be confusing since some words have more than one meaning based on the sentence used such as 'blow'.

I'm learning the Japanese language in the university this year. I'm hoping to be able to master the kanji characters but it's really hard. The 'mono-morai' is a good example D:

Anyway, lets both try our best to master the english language (and the japanese for me XD)!

Yosh~!!! Ganbaru zo~!!!